How to Setup a VPN Connection in Windows 7
How to Setup a VPN Connection in Windows 7? VPN (Virtual Private Network) technology lets a computer using a public Internet connection join a private network by way of a secure "tunnel" between that machine and the network. The most common case is a business allowing its employees to connect to its work network from home or from the road. There are two principal ways to configure VPN Service. The first and more-common scenario, called outgoing, is setting up a remote computer to call into the office network. The second scenario, called incoming, occurs on the network side, where a computer allows secure connections from other computers. Windows 7 comes preloaded with the Agile VPN client, which makes setting up either kind of connection relatively easy, also if you are using windows 8, following windows 7 configuration steps similar to windows 8 desktop environment.
Setup a VPN Connection in Windows 7
- Click the Start button, and, in the search bar, type Network and Sharing.
Once you are in the Network and Sharing Center window , click the link "Set up a new connection or network".
- Click "Connect to a workplace" and then Next
- How do you want to connect? Click "Use my Internet connection (VPN)"
- Depending on the VPN server you are trying to connect, fill the first field(Internet Address) with the server address.
Note: This address can be either an IP address like 184.108.40.206 or an URL like uk1.vpn.surf, see VPN.surf locations' addresses here
Enter whatever you want in second field(Destination name) as a name for your new VPN connection, then Next
- Type your VPN account credentials(you can get an account credentials by purchasing a VPN subscription), and when you are done, click Connect.
- If you have not checked the Don't want to connect now's checkbox in step 4, It is goint to establishe a connection to the VPN server and verifies your username and password automatically.
Note: The connection type priroty is: SSTP, PPTP, L2TP in this process, it will choose one of them automatically.
It takes a couple of seconds(If all went well and there was no problem with credentials and VPN server, Done, your are connected!)
How to Disconnect and reconnect to this created VPN?
- To disconnect from a VPN connection, Click the network icon in taskbar, select the VPN connection in the list of available networks and connections, and then click Disconnect.(Right Figure)
- To connect same VPN connection every time you need that, Select the connection and click connect button.(Left Figure)
If you are facing any problem with the installation/configuration or you have a question, feel free to ask using the comments form below. We will help you to solve the issue.