Can you use a VPN on PS4? This is one of the most popular questions people ask nowadays. Well, this article covers the usage of a VPN on PS4.
Before diving directly into the answer to this question, it is important to note that the connection of a VPN in your PS4 can have its challenges and associated errors such as VPN Error 789.
Therefore, there is a need to take caution and the right procedures while deploying a VPN in your PS4.
Can You Use a VPN on PS4
The short answer is, yes you can use a VPN on PlayStation 4. When you use a VPN in your PS4, there are certain services that will ''unlock''.
First of all you will have a secure ''tunnel'' online where you can play safely. Second, you can play with other people in different regions as though you were in the same region, and have access to resources limited in your own region.
With such advantages, you should consider using a VPN in your PS4.
Advantages of Using a VPN on PS4
Do you have a VPN on your smartphone or PC? If the answer is YES, then you already have an idea about the advantages of using a VPN. When you use a VPN in your PS4, the advantages are more or less the same as that one attains when a VPN is installed on a PC.
- Access to content not within your region: When you use a VPN, it means that you have created a virtual tunnel, connecting your PS4 to the VPN servers. In a VPN, your PS4 will exist in a Virtual Network. This means that you will be able to have access to PlayStation store content that is not within your region. For instance, if you are in the European region, you can have access to PS4 content that is in America.
- Get Access To Lower Prices: If you have a PS4, you probably know, or have heard that different PS4 products have different prices. The prices differ from region to region. In some regions, there could be offers running, and you might want to grab them. The only way you can enjoy such offers, is through the use of a VPN. You will notice that within the USA, PlayStation products are cheaper, compared to regions outside the USA. A VPN, therefore, will ensure that you have a chance to enjoy such offers.
- Using a VPN in your PS4 guarantees you speedy gaming. If you have a premium or quality VPN, then you can be sure your gaming experience will be fun. When a quality VPN is used, you should expect minimal lags. In a case where an ISP is throttling your connection, you will see the game difference when you are connected to the VPN, and when you are not connected. Caution should be taken, however, when you are not using a quality VPN, as it can lead to the slowed gaming experience.
- Guaranteed protection from Distributed Denial of Services (DDOs). When you are playing online using your PS4, you are probably connected to a certain gaming server. What a DDOs attack does is to overwhelm the server with excess data so that access to its resources is limited. When this happens, you cannot access the desired PS4 resources. A VPN, well incorporated, and one that does not experience VPN Error 789, can protect you from such attacks through the provision of an encrypted tunnel to your gaming servers. Your IP address is hidden from attacks, and therefore, you will experience the ultimate gaming experience.
- Access to Television content through your PS4. If you are in the USA and have your PS4, you can have access to unrestricted TV content such as Netflix and Hulu. This is not the case with persons outside the USA. Some of the content in these platforms is limited to regions in the US to bypass any restrictions, a quality VPN can be implemented in your PS4, and help you bypass the limitations, and enjoy content from your PS4 as though you were in the United States of America.
Considerations of Using VPN on Ps4
Some considerations need to be put in place before using a VPN in your PS4. You should be aware of some of the common errors while using a VPN.
- Error 789. VPN Error 789, often occurs in the event one tries to execute a VPN on a PlayStation 4. Considerations should also be made in terms of the region one is situated.
- Your region. For instance, if you are in United States of America, a VPN might not be as useful as someone who uses a VPN outside the USA. In USA, most of the content is available and there is no need to try and bypass it.
Things to consider before installing VPN to your PS4
- VPN Protocols
Before you settle for a certain VPN in your PS4, you should be aware of the type of security protocols it offers. The degree of protocols will determine your safety as you use the VPN in your PS4.
No one likes slow gaming. We all want the super-fast experience. Then if you deserve the fastest gaming experience, you should consider the speed of the VPN you settle for, to use in your PS4. Quick encryption of data and VPN Error 789 free on your selected VPN should be a priority while shopping for the right VPN for your PS4.
- Availability of dedicated services
Before you settle on a certain VPN to use in your PS4, you should make considerations on whether your VPN will deliver the desired services. Will you be able to access services desired even when you are not in a designated region, will the gaming speed be high enough? These are some of the questions you should ask before choosing your VPN.
- Compatibility of your VPN
A VPN, just like any other application, needs to be compatible with your PS4. Ensure that your PS4 is compatible with the desired VPN and that it supported all major network protocols you will use. This will also limit your encounters with VPN Error 789.
- Storage Speed
Play Stations come with different storage capabilities. Choose a VPN that does not take up most of the space, so that the rest of the space is left for personal use. Small space utilization will also ensure a flawless gaming experience.
How to Install a VPN to Your Ps4 Using a Router
To use this process, you need a WIFI Router with you. Here's a quick guide on how to install a VPN to your PS4 using a router
- Go to the XMB menu of Your PS4.
- Go to settings, then network settings, and select set up internet connection
- A prompt will come up, choose, Use WI-FI, and select easy when prompted.
- From SSID options, select your Wi-Fi and key in your credentials.
- Be keen to enable, do not use a proxy server, then accept all other settings that follow and finally test your connection to see if they work.
- If the test results are positive, you will have succeeded in connecting your PS4 to a VPN.
How to Install a VPN on Your PS4 Using a Computer
Using your computer to install a VPN is the cheapest way to have a VPN running in your PS4. In this kind of set-up, you do not have to worry about a router. The following guide will provide the steps necessary. In a case where you do not have an Ethernet port, you can still use USB to Ethernet adaptors, which are as effective as the direct Ethernet adaptors.
Guide to Installing a VPN in Your PS4 Using a Computer
- You will need to sigh-up to your VPN of choice.
- Once on the VPNs website, download it, then install it into your PC.
- Make a connection between your PC and your PS4. In this type of connection, make use of an Ethernet Cable.
- Once connected, go to control panel in your PC and open network and sharing center.
- Once on open network and sharing center, click change adaptor settings, and right click on VPN connection. This one should be on your Windows PC.
- ON your VPN Connection, click on properties, then sharing, and allow other Network users to connect through your computer network option.
- At this stage, you will have the option of home networking connection. From the home networking connection, select your Ethernet connection.
- Make a connection to the VPN server as needed. You will use your VPN client application installed on your PC.
- Once done, start your PS4, and on your PS4’s main menu, go to settings, then network settings. Under network settings, click on set up internet connection.
- Should a prompt appear, choose to use a LAN cable, and go with easy setup, where you will confirm not to use a proxy server.
- Accept all settings as prompted and select and click on test connection. This will help you determine that the connection is working.
- If the steps were followed, you will have installed the VPN in your PS4.
How to Install a VPN to Your PS4 Using a Mac
You can also use your Mac to connect your Ps4 to a VPN. Here's a quick guide on How to Install a VPN in Your PS4
- Make sure you have already downloaded and installed your VPN of choice to your Mac.
- Connect your Mac and PS4 using an Ethernet cable.
- From system preferences in Mac, click on sharing.
- On the sharing page that appears, select internet sharing, and from the sharing options, click on share your connection from.
- Here, you will select the source of your internet.
- From the drop down menu, click on to computer using, and choose Ethernet from the options presented.
- Enable internet sharing.
- From the VPN installed in your Mac, start it and have it connect to the desired VPN server.
- Once connected, go to your PS4 XMB menu. Go to settings, then network settings. Then click on set up internet connection.
- From the internet connection options, click on, use a LAN cable. Leave the connection method as easy.
- Leave do not use a proxy server enabled.
- Accept all other settings that follow, and finally accept test connection.
- If the connection test is a success, you will have connected your PS4 to a VPN, via your Mac.
We hope you enjoyed our article ''Can you use a VPN on PS4''. If you found this article useful, feel free to share it with the rest of the gaming community. We are sure they will love you for doing it.
Do you value your privacy online?
Use VPN Surf and surf safely and securely in the open waters of the internet.