There are many PS4 players globally, and these players are always looking for ways to connect with their international friends. VPN works to fill the gap between players of different countries, but many people have the same concern, ‘can you use a VPN on PS4?’ Well, yes, you can use a VPN on PlayStation 4.
When you use a VPN on your PS4, certain services will ''unlock''. First of all, you will have a secure ''tunnel'' online where you can play safely. Second, you can play with other people from different regions while bypassing the geo-restrictions levied in your place. Hence using a VPN on PS4 definitely has got some great benefits.
Advantages of Using a VPN on PS4
Do you have a VPN on your smartphone or PC? If the answer is YES, then you already have an idea about the advantages of using a VPN. When you use a VPN in your PS4, the advantages are more or less the same as that one attains when a VPN is installed on a PC:
- Get access to content outside of your region. When you use a VPN, it means that you have created a virtual tunnel, connecting your PS4 to the VPN servers. In a VPN, your PS4 will exist in a Virtual Network. It means that you will have access to PlayStation store content that is not within your region. For instance, if you are in the European region, you can access PS4 content in America.
- If you have a PS4, you probably know or have heard that different PS4 products have different prices. The prices differ from region to region. In some regions, there could be offers running, and you might want to grab them. The only way you can enjoy such offers is through the use of a VPN. You will notice that within the USA, PlayStation products are cheaper compared to regions outside the USA. A VPN, therefore, will ensure that you have a chance to enjoy such offers.
- Using a VPN on your PS4 guarantees you an enhanced gaming speed. If you have a premium or quality VPN, you can be sure your gaming experience will be fun. When a quality VPN is used, you should expect minimal lags. If an ISP is throttling your connection, you will see the game difference when connected to the VPN and when you are not connected. Caution should be taken, however, when you are not using a quality VPN, as it can lead to a slowed gaming experience.
- Guaranteed protection from Distributed Denial of Services (DDOs). When you are playing online using your PS4, you are probably connected to a certain gaming server. What DDOs attack does is overwhelm the server with excess data so that access to its resources is limited. When this happens, you cannot access the desired PS4 resources. A VPN, well incorporated, and one that does not experience VPN Error 789, can protect you from such attacks through the provision of an encrypted tunnel to your gaming servers. Your IP address is hidden from attacks, and therefore, you will experience the ultimate gaming experience.
- Access to Television content through your PS4. If you are in the USA and have your PS4, you can access available TV content such as Netflix and Hulu. It is not the case with persons outside the USA. Some of the content in these platforms is limited to regions in the US to bypass any restrictions. A quality VPN can be implemented in your PS4 and help you bypass the limitations and enjoy content from your PS4 as though you were in the United States of America.
Considerations of Using VPN on Ps4
Some considerations need to be put in place before using a VPN in your PS4. You should be aware of some of the common errors while using a VPN.
- Error 789. VPN Error 789 often occurs in the event one tries to execute a VPN on a PlayStation 4.
- Your region. For instance, if you are in the United States of America, a VPN might not be as useful as using a VPN outside the USA. Most of the content is available in the USA, and there is no need to try and bypass it.
- VPN Protocols. Before you settle for a certain VPN in your PS4, you should be aware of the type of security protocols it offers. The degree of protocols will determine your safety as you use the VPN in your PS4.
- Speed. No one likes slow gaming. We all want the super-fast experience. Then if you deserve the fastest gaming experience, you should consider the speed of the VPN you settled to use in your PS4. Quick encrypting data and VPN Error 789 free on your selected VPN should be a priority while shopping for the right VPN for your PS4.
- Availability of dedicated services. Before you settle on a certain VPN to use in your PS4, you should consider whether your VPN will deliver the desired services. Will you access the services desired even when you are not in a designated region? Will the gaming speed be high enough? These are some of the questions you should ask before choosing your VPN.
- Compatibility of your VPN. A VPN, just like any other application, needs to be compatible with your PS4. Ensure that your PS4 is compatible with the desired VPN and that it supports all major network protocols you will use. It will also limit your encounters with VPN Error 789.
How to Install a VPN to Your Ps4 Using a Router
To perform the below steps, you need a WIFI Router with you. Here's a quick guide on how to install a VPN to your PS4 using a router
- Go to the XMB menu of Your PS4.
- Go to settings, then network settings, and select set up internet connection.
- A prompt will come up, choose, Use WI-FI, and select easy when prompted.
- From SSID options, select your Wi-Fi and key in your credentials.
- Be keen to enable, do not use a proxy server, then accept all other settings that follow and finally test your connection to see if they work.
- If the test results are positive, you will have succeeded in connecting your PS4 to a VPN.
How to Install a VPN on Your PS4 Using a Computer
Using your computer to install a VPN is the cheapest way to have a VPN running on your PS4. In this kind of setup, you do not have to worry about a router. The following guide will provide the necessary steps. In a case where you do not have an Ethernet port, you can still use USB to Ethernet adaptors, which are as effective as the direct Ethernet adaptors.
Guide to Installing a VPN in Your PS4 Using a Computer
- You will need to sign-up to your VPN of choice.
- Once on the VPNs website, download it, then install it into your PC.
- Make a connection between your PC and your PS4. In this type of connection, make use of an Ethernet Cable.
- Once connected, go to the control panel in your PC and open the network and sharing center.
- Once on, open the network and sharing center, click Change adapter settings, and right-click on the VPN connection. This one should be on your Windows PC.
- ON your VPN Connection, click on properties, then share, and allow other network users to connect through your computer network option.
- At this stage, you will have the option of a home networking connection. From the home networking connection, select your Ethernet connection.
- Make a connection to the VPN server as needed. You will use your VPN client application installed on your PC.
- Once done, start your PS4, and on your PS4's main menu, go to settings, then network settings. Under network settings, click on set up internet connection.
- Should a prompt appear, choose to use a LAN cable, and go with an easy setup, where you will confirm not to use a proxy server.
- Accept all settings as prompted and select and click on test connection. This will help you determine that the connection is working.
- If the steps were followed, you would have installed the VPN in your PS4.
How to Install a VPN to Your PS4 Using a Mac
You can also use your Mac to connect your Ps4 to a VPN. Here's a quick guide on How to Install a VPN on Your PS4
- Make sure you have already downloaded and installed your VPN of choice to your Mac.
- Connect your Mac and PS4 using an Ethernet cable.
- From system preferences in Mac, click on sharing.
- On the sharing page that appears, select internet sharing, and from the sharing options, click on share your connection.
- Here, you will select the source of your internet.
- From the drop-down menu, click on to computer using, and choose Ethernet from the options presented.
- Enable internet sharing.
- From the VPN installed in your Mac, start it and have it connect to the desired VPN server.
- Once connected, go to your PS4 XMB menu. Go to settings, then network settings. Then click on set up internet connection.
- From the internet connection options, click on, use a LAN cable. Leave the connection method as easy.
- Leave do not use a proxy server enabled.
- Accept all other settings that follow, and finally, accept test connection.
- If the connection test is a success, you will have connected your PS4 to a VPN via your Mac.
It is easy to use a VPN on PS4, but it is essential to follow the step-by-step procedure carefully. We hope this article was useful as we have shared all the processes of installing a VPN on PS4 from different devices. Feel free to share it with the rest of the gaming community. We are sure they will love you for doing it.
Do you value your privacy online?
Use VPN Surf and surf safely and securely in the open waters of the internet.