Error 809 is a VPN error usually occurs when a firewall blocks the VPN ports between the user and the server. If your VPN connection fails, here are the steps to fix it.
It's very common for VPN connections to experience some problems along the road. If you're using Windows and a VPN together, you may face VPN error 809.
A common reason is that when Windows doesn't allow you to establish a VPN connection through the firewall, this error might appear if you don't use a firewall but on a NAT device.
Network Address Translation (NAT) is meant for IP address conservation. It lets private IP networks with unregistered IP addresses connect to the internet. NAT normally operates on a router, connecting two or more networks, and alters the unregistered network into legal addresses.
The error message looks something like this:
How to fix VPN Error 809?
"The network connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be established."
Here are the ways how to fix VPN error 809 on Windows 10:
- Enable the ports on your firewall/router
- Add value to the Windows registry
- Disable Xbox Live Networking services
- Enable IKEv2 fragmentation
1. Enable the ports on your firewall/router
Usually, the VPN error 809 is caused by a firewall or router blocking the PPTP port (TCP 1723) or port L2TP or IKEv2 port (UDP ports 500 and 4500). Since VPN Surf runs on IKEv2 protocol, this might be a reason you will face this error.
To learn more about VPN protocols, have a quick read to get acquainted with them.
The solution is pretty simple! Simply enable the ports on the firewall or your router.
2. Add value to the Windows registry
When establishing your VPN connection, if your MX is placed behind a NAT, you must add the "AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule" DWORD value to the Windows registry.
This lets Windows OS establish a secure connection when your VPN's server and the computer client are behind NAT devices. Here's how:
- Login to Windows with admin access
- Type 'Run' on the search bar and click on the application
- Type "regedit" and click on 'OK'
- Now in the open Window, find this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > PolicyAgent
**The full path cannot be seen in the below picture
- Once you get to the path Right, click and create a new 'DWORD (32-bit) Value'
- Change the Value name to "AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule"
- Change the new entry and change Value Data from "0" to "2 "
- Click 'OK'
- Reboot the computer and test the connection.
Note: This is a perfect solution when your VPN server and the computer client are behind NAT devices.
3. Disable Xbox Live Networking services
A Windows 10 service may block access to the L2TP/IPsec VPN, so to resolve this and prevent seeing error 809, you can do this:
- Type "services" in the search box and click on 'Services'
- Find 'Xbox Live Networking Services' and double-click on it
- On the drop-down menu of 'startup type' select "Disabled"
- Click "Apply" and click on 'OK'
- Check if your VPN connection works!
4. Enable IKEv2 Fragmentation
VPN error 809 can occur due to the IKE fragmentation while using the IKEv2 VPN protocol. What happens is quite technical; however, let me break it down into a simple explanation.
During the IKEv2 connection between the client and the server, the packet size may exceed the IP Maximum Transmission Unit. This results in the packets being fragmented. Due to the fragmentation, intermediary devices like routers, NAT devices, or firewalls will sometimes block IP fragments.
Hence the VPN connection will not be established. Even though it sounds complicated, what you must do to overcome this error is simple!
Solution: Update your Windows 10 devices to the latest version. IKEv2 fragmentation was introduced in Windows 10 1803 and is enabled by default.
By now, your VPN should work without getting any errors. VPN Surf uses the IKEv2 protocol for our VPNs which secures your data and provides the anonymity you need. It's right there for the taking, just a click away.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does error 809 mean?
The error code 809 indicates that the VPN failed to react, which denotes a timeout. Although network connectivity is frequently the direct source of this, other elements may play a role occasionally.
2. Where are the 809 prefixes located?
Area codes 809, 829, and 849 are the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) telephone area codes for the Dominican Republic.
3. What time zone is area code 809?
The time zone in the Dominican Republic is Atlantic Standard Time. This means there are no Daylight Saving Time clock changes during the year.
4. What failed to cause the error code to return on failure is 809?
Your machine and the VPN server could not establish a network connection because the distant server is not responding. One of the network devices (firewall, NAT, router, etc.) separating your computer from the distant server is not set up to support VPN connections.
5. How do I fix a VPN error 800?
- Turn off your Firewall
- Verify your VPN's IP address, name, and password again.
- Remove the DNS cache
- Try resetting Winsock
- Try Network Troubleshooter
- Run antivirus against possible malware
- Download the VPN software again
- Check together with your ISP
Do you value your privacy online?
Use VPN Surf and surf safely and securely in the open waters of the internet.