How many times did you download media items from the internet using different websites and software applications? Well, every internet user does so on a regular basis. But do you know how it works? Media items are downloaded by internet users worldwide, but a limited number of people are aware of P2P sharing. P2P sharing is the technology that makes it possible to download media items from different websites. Maybe you already feel curious about what the P2P sharing technology is and how it makes file transfers convenient? As you get adequate details about the technology, you can use it in a better way to access and download media items online.
An introduction to P2P networks
Before proceeding further, it’s essential to know about P2P networks. A P2P network connects multiple computers and allows those computers to share online resources and media items. A P2P network doesn’t require a specific server to connect multiple PCs. That’s the speciality of P2P networks.
P2P networks can be scaled in different attires according to requirements. Sometimes, P2P networks are utilized for local file transfers and file downloading. However, global P2P networks consist of specific protocols and dedicated applications to connect users to the main network. To be specific, P2P networks are based on distributed networking architecture. Therefore, these networks function exceptionally in terms of sharing and downloading files.
P2P sharing- The fundamental facts you need to know
P2P sharing is nothing but the process of data transfer through P2P networks. As mentioned before, every internet user attempts to access and download media items from the internet. P2P file sharing or peer-to-peer file sharing enables that in a straightforward way. Every P2P network is backed by powerful P2P software. Such software helps a user find his desired content or media item by scanning all the connected systems in the network.
Thinking from a general internet user’s perspective, it’s impossible to locate a specific item amidst millions of websites and portals. P2P file sharing makes the process easier for you by locating your desired content or media item. P2P file sharing is becoming popular and convenient day by day due to its utility and efficiency. In fact, P2P file sharing widens the sphere of the internet by making it possible to share files and content among multiple systems connected to the network. P2P sharing platforms like BitTorrent, UTorrent and FileHippo can be found on every PC nowadays.
However, if you want to make use of P2P sharing, you are supposed to know how it works. The following segment consists of all the details about how P2P file sharing works.
The way P2P sharing works
Unlike other types of file sharing and file downloading, P2P sharing doesn’t involve a centralized server. No centralized server exists in the case of a P2P network. Such a network connects two systems on the network directly. That way, file transfer becomes easier. Generally, other networks redirect users to central servers where their desired files are stored. That’s not how P2P file sharing works. When a user searches for a specific media file through a P2P network, he comes across all the systems or sites that contain content related to his desired search. That occurs with the help of servers, known as trackers in P2P networks. These servers help a user locate his desired files in the P2P network. This is how P2P sharing works. Generally, users download small files from different sources that are related to their search intent. Afterwards, they compile those files and share those compiled files through the server too. Naturally, file sharing becomes better in this way.
What advantages and disadvantages can you expect when you’re utilizing P2P file sharing?
With the increasing demand for faster and convenient file transfer, P2P file sharing is becoming everyone’s preference. Like every other networking facility, P2P sharing comes with some beneficial aspects alongside some drawbacks. The following points will highlight the advantages and disadvantages of P2P file sharing in depth.
Advantages of P2P file sharing
- P2P file sharing becomes the easiest way to share and transfer files because this process doesn’t demand a network operating system. Almost every other file sharing system demands a dedicated network operating system to ensure flawless file sharing. That’s a major plus point of P2P file sharing.
- Managing P2P file-sharing networks are way more effortless than handling a client-server network.
- In cases of other file-sharing networks, the entire network system suffers due to minor inconveniences in the central server. In P2P file sharing, no centralized server exists. Hence, there is no chance of network interruption even if a peer or system gets down.
- P2P file sharing is a cost-efficient option, unlike other file sharing networks. The maintenance costs of a P2P file-sharing network are minimum, and that makes it a decent choice for beginners.
Disadvantages of P2P file sharing
- There’s no dedicated backup system in the case of P2P file sharing. That can be considered a major drawback of this file-sharing method. In contrast, other file-sharing networks come with dedicated central servers to back up files.
- Security is a big concern when it comes to P2P file sharing. As most P2P file-sharing networks are not encrypted and aren’t backed by secure servers, this method is pretty risky. Especially, the file-sharing method becomes riskier for transferring confidential files.
- The files you’re attempting to download through a P2P network might not be virus-free. The majority of files downloaded through P2P networks contain viruses and malware.
- Needless to say, thousands of users access P2P networks to share, transfer and download files. That makes P2P servers slower than other file-sharing servers. Due to high traffic, P2P portals often take too long to respond and load. As a result, your computer might slow down too while transferring and sharing files through a P2P network.
- As P2P networks aren’t monitored by a centralized system, illegal links, files, and other items reside there in these networks. Sometimes, clicking on an illegal link or downloading an illegal folder may lead you to face legal consequences. This is another serious issue that has damaged the goodwill of P2P networks since their initial days.
- Your system stands chances to get hacked as you use P2P file-sharing networks frequently. As mentioned before, these networks don’t have security systems to detect whether a file is safe for your device or not. Some files and content include harmful malware that helps hackers to access your system unauthorizedly. In such a case, the security of your computer gets compromised without your prime knowledge.
Despite the disadvantages, millions of internet users use P2P servers and networks for sharing, transferring, and downloading files. However, it will be a mistake to avoid extracting the benefits of P2P networks due to their disadvantages. Rather, sticking to some security protocols may help you keep your PC safe while using P2P networks. Let’s jump to the next segment to understand the security protocols deeply.
What are the ways to keep your computer safe while using P2P file-sharing networks?
- A legit and authorized P2P sharing platform won’t prompt you to disable your system’s firewall protection and antivirus software ever. But, you may encounter some platforms that will prompt you to do so for downloading your desired files. You put your computer at risk as you do so. Refrain from downloading from such a portal and find a legit portal.
- Many users leave P2P networks open on their PCs even after they have completed downloading their desired files. Such an activity may be dangerous for your PC. As soon as you have downloaded your desired file, close the network.
- Using a P2P file-sharing network at a public place isn’t a wise decision. Suppose you’re in your workplace and you’re accessing a P2P file-sharing network through your office computer. Such action may invite hackers to access the confidential official information stored in the computer. So, rule out the idea of accessing P2P networks from your office computer.
- While downloading a file from a P2P sharing network, make sure you’re aware till the process gets completed. Otherwise, some unwanted files may also get downloaded on your PC, which will help hackers break into your system. So, have your eyes on all the files that are being downloaded while you’re downloading a specific software or file from a P2P network.
- No matter what you’re downloading, you’re supposed to scan that for viruses and potential threats with your system’s in-built antivirus. The majority of files available in P2P networks contain viruses and malware threats. If those viruses and malware files get inside your system, your PC stands chances to collapse or deliver poor performance. So, it’s always advisable to scan every file you’re downloading through a P2P network with virus-scanner software.
- Stay away from downloading or uploading copyrighted files or media items. It may seem that downloading or uploading such items are not as risky as it sounds. But, there are strict copyright laws that might lead you to legal harassment. Sharing or transferring copyrighted materials through P2P platforms is considered a punishable offense. So, never get involved in such an activity. Otherwise, the consequences won’t be good enough.
- Downloading your desired files from a recognized P2P platform should be your priority. Reputed P2P platforms like BitTorrent, UTorrent, FileHippo are reliable and convenient for downloading all kinds of files and software applications. So, what’s the necessity of choosing other platforms and putting your system at risk?
- Keep your system’s antivirus and firewall protection updated. That turns out to be really helpful for downloading safe files from P2P networks.
So, these are the hacks you must try to download safe materials from P2P platforms. As you execute these instructions promptly, you ensure that you don’t compromise your computer’s security.
Can P2P software become risky for your computer?
The straight answer to this question is yes. A P2P software is likely to expose sensitive and copyrighted information or files. Now, if you install a P2P software that contains multiple sensitive and copyrighted information of files, you become a part of the illegal circulation of those unknowingly. You won’t even realize that you’re become indulged in sharing copyrighted items and circulating them. Without intending to do so, you become a part of such illegal activities by installing P2P software in your system. You may have to face legal consequences for that. Copyright laws are pretty strict throughout the world.
Also, there are chances that your personal data may be compromised and exposed as you install illegal P2P software in your system. Most unauthorized P2P platforms demand access to the files and media that you’ve stored in your system. Installing illegitimate P2P software may expose your personal data in the P2P network.
So, these are the potential risks associated with installing illegal P2P software applications on your computer. Be sincere to select an authentic and legit P2P software for downloading your desired files.
P2P file sharing is good and bad at the same time. If you can manage the consequences of P2P file sharing, the method can be highly beneficial for you. On the contrary, if you handle a P2P network in an amateurish manner, you will put your computer in danger. You have come to know a lot about P2P file sharing from the segments above. Now, all you need to do is keep the information in your mind. Also, you are supposed to adhere to the instructions given above to ensure that you’re downloading files from P2P networks safely.
We have discussed everything about the P2P network, the P2P file sharing procedure and the potential risks associated with it. However, that doesn’t mean you need to be skeptical about downloading files from P2P networks. Just follow the instructions properly to make the process safe and secure for your computer. The points mentioned above will help you extract the advantages of P2P file sharing for sure. So, select a legit, authorized P2P software and start downloading your desired files safely!
Do you value your privacy online?
Use VPN Surf and surf safely and securely in the open waters of the internet.